Monday, March 14, 2005

MY DAD AND I WENT TO THE AUTO SHOW YESTERDAY. About every four years I like to go to the Minneapolis Convention Center and see all the new models.

All but a small handful of production vehicles were unlocked. Anyone could sit in them and see the view from the inside. Years ago that all the Mercedes, BMW, Porsche and some Audi models were locked. I guess the manufacturers felt these models were too nice for the unwashed masses to sit in. Along came Lexus and changed that. I distinctly remember how surprised I was when Lexus first appeared at the Auto Show. The recently introduced top of the line Lexus LS400 was unlocked. People spent more time looking at the Lexus display because it was a new luxury brand and you could actually sit in the vehicles. Who needs German snobs. Generally speaking, today only the prototypes and future models aren't unlocked.

There must have been a sign posted at the entrance instructing teenagers and early 20-somethings to be speaking on a cell-phone at all times. Most of them complied with the intent of that rule but not the spirit. The cell phones were turned on and held near pierced ears but no one can really say these kids were talking. Uh huh, yeah, uh huh, yeah, I'm looking at a Mustang right now. Umm, uh, 'sup, whatcha doing? Oh, uh, mmmm, cool, okay, like, I'm sure, kay, gotta go now, I told Cindy I'd call her when I got to the show. Um, yeah, later. Beep, beep, beep - beep, beep, beep, beep. Uh, Cindy, yeah, um, 'sup. Mm at the show. Whatcha doing? Oh, um, yeah, um, the 'Stang's pretty cool. What? Um, yeah, it's yellow.

To steal a quote about a different generation: Never in the field of modern electronics has so much cellular air time been used by so many to say so little.

One other observation: Anyone who brings small children to a hot, crowded convention center where there is nothing to amuse the kids should not have had kids in the first place.