Thursday, March 17, 2005

I'LL PASS: I just can't put my finger on it (pun intended) but something doesn't sit well with this news story from South Carolina. Piggly Wiggly is testing out the "Pay by Touch" system of paying for groceries. The service lets shoppers use scanned fingerprints tied to a bank account to pay for groceries.

I don't know if I'm ready to cross that line, yet. I know data collection companies already have large amounts of information about me in their database and to the extent it's used to target me I don't mind. I'd rather have junk mail and solitications that matter to me than just wasteful marketing. In fact, I'd have to say I get less junk mail overall than before.

But it seems like too big a difference in degree for them to have actual physical information, be it a fingerprint, eye scan or DNA.