Friday, March 11, 2005

BIG 10 TOURNAMENT: The Mrs. and I went to the United Center tonight to watch session #3 of the Big 10 Men's Basketball Tournament. Our daughter's godmother got some free tickets and invited us. Good seats, too.

First game was Iowa v. Michigan State. Exciting game; Iowa upset MSU.
Second game was Ohio State (wife's alma mater) v Wisconsin (my alma mater). Wisconsin won.

Here are some quick impressions:

CHEERLEADERS:

MSU Cheerleaders: Flat. Even the Mrs. noticed it. I'm not talking about their performance, which was also, however, flat.

Iowa Cheerleaders: They came in three varieties. Full figured, plus size and Thornton's Big and Fat Store mannequins.

Wisconsin Cheerleaders: Sad to say, they have every kind of ugly. It was like on special or something.

OSU Cheerleaders: Now THAT's what I'm talking about. Attractive ladies and nice routines.

By the way, just so you all don't think I'm a sexist pig...it was my wife who pointed all this out. I agreed, mind you, but she brought it up.

DIVERSITY:

Average number of black players on the floor at any one time: 80%
Total number of black spectators: 3 out of 21,000. And they were all Wisconsin jersey'd up...my bet is they were family.

COMMON SENSE: During one time of each game they played video of fans singing their colleges fight song. Before the game they announced you could go to section 103 and video yourself singing the song and they played snippets during a second half time-out.

They play the OSU cheerleaders singing the song...part of the crowd cheers.
Some family singing the praises of Illinois...part of the crowd cheers.
Drunk frat boys wailing On Wisconsin...large part of the crowd cheers.
Family starts singing Hail to the Victors (Michigan)...ENTIRE CROWD BOOS. I've never felt more a part of humanity and hope for the future of mankind when I saw the whole crowd come together in dislike of Michigan.